Just some thoughts on what one needs to do to be a great marketer, based on my personal experiences...
10. Watch television shows that you might not normally
watch. Understand what is popular culture today and why, and try to identify
9. Read magazines like People, US, Entertainment Weekly,
Hello, and gain a better understanding as to who’s hot in Hollywood, in reality
shows, in music. If you read the magazines and don’t know who the people are,
all the more reason you should keep reading the publications.
8. Eat at one new restaurant, at least twice per month.
What’s on their menu? How is the wait staff dressed? What typestyle do they use
on their printed material. What colors are they using? You can learn a lot from
observing the restaurant industry.
7. Offer yourself up as a speaker or presenter at high
school and college events. But it isn’t about you speaking, it is about you
listening. Ask these young people what’s on their mind. Ask them what they
think about the world around them, and what are the topics they care most about.
Ask them what and who they think is hot. Many times it will be different than
what you just read in the magazines.
6. If you are a man, spend an hour in a woman’s store and
watch how women shop. If you’re a woman, do the same in a men’s store. See what
they buy, and how they buy it.
5. Plan a vacation to somewhere you have never been. It
always intrigues me that we go through life once, and people find a vacation
spot that they like, and return year after year. What about the rest of the
world; no interest?
4. Visit a new website every day. And if you can’t find the
time, do it at least 3 times per week. See what else is out there. New websites
are launched daily, yet we continue to use the same sites with which we are
3. Observe and document. Look at things you see on the
street, while you are waiting for a train, while driving in the car, while
riding your bike, while walking your dog. Look at the way people communicate,
signage, sides of trucks, leaflets posted to light poles. What do you see? What
ideas do you get?
2. Try new foods. Walk into a gourmet store, or a high-end
supermarket, and pick up foods that are exotic to you. Try new fruits and
vegetables you have never tasted. Pick up a condiment or spice from a foreign
country. Ask the employees what they like that is new and exciting.
And the #1 recommendation to help you become a great marketer….
1. Never stop being inquisitive. Talk to people you have
never met before, and ask questions. Where they are from, what they like, what
they are interested in, what excites them. People love to talk about
themselves; let them. They will teach us. They will enlighten us.
We can learn so much just by living an interested and